Sunday, November 15, 2015

Words





1. mannequin
A small, black velvet purse hung on the shoulder of the mannequin.
Life-sized model of a person which is used to display clothes.
2. second-hand
To save money, I had purchased second-hand textbooks from upperclassmen at a fraction of the original price, and I was careful not to use too many notebooks.
Something used or owned by another.
3. animatedly
Many of our classmates were there, with drinks in hand, talking animatedly.
Happy, exciting or looks like real.
4. faltered 
Flustered, I faltered, then hurriedly responded, "Yes, well, I had a good time, too.
speak haltingly
5. impulsive
She would acknowledge that I had done something impulsive, but would say that it was okay.
without forethought or thinking.
6. constrained
But maybe that was why I had wanted to leave home for a while; I had always felt constrained there.
not natural or not comfortable
7. Gregorian chant
A Gregorian chant program is scheduled for June, and students will be coming from around the world.
a liturgical chant of the Roman Catholic Church

8. pearl
The pearl necklace and wishbone pin would really stand out against the black velvet.
a smooth lustrous round structure inside the shell of a clam or oyster
9. elope
All I can think about is Kyle, and the life ahead of us. I just want to elope and get our lives started now!"
run away with one's beloved
10. taciturn
I would write to each of my taciturn brothers, even though they had never written to me.
person does not say very much and unfriendly.
11. sobbed
I sat, buried my face in my hands, and sobbed.
weeping
12. pouch
In a silk pouch that Mother had made was her thin, white gold wedding band.
A small size container for holding things.
13. listlessly
As I stared forward listlessly, little Sarah snuggled up against me, and whispered into my ear, "I love you, Sookan."
lacking zest or vivacity
14. hymn
I was comforted by their high-pitched hymns reverberating in the domed chapel.
a song of praise
15. fainted
She had fainted, and they found out it was a cerebral hemorrhage.
Weak and lost consciousness

No comments:

Post a Comment